You may be noticing the phrase “IPM” a lot in your search for pest control services. IPM, which stands for Integrated Pest Management is a shift in the techniques used by pest control professionals to combat insect and rodent infestations. In the past, traditional pest control services utilized chemicals to eliminate pests but today, IPM specialists incorporates several non-chemical methods to address pest activity including:
The focus of IPM is to be more environmentally friendly and safer for humans and pets.
Did you know that there are even 100% chemical free ways to treat for pests now? Whether it’s bed bugs, or another pest, you may surprised to learn that there may not be a need to use chemicals for treatment. At Plunkett’s Pest Control, we work hard to resolve pest problems while reducing the unnecessary use of chemicals and while there are still some cases in which we apply careful doses of chemical, we do so cautiously.
There are ways that you as a homeowner can take the first step in pest prevention. Since the prevention or exclusion of pests is the best method and is included in IPM techniques, there are plenty of ways you can keep your home pest free. Here are some of the top pest proofing tips:
- Cut back shrubs and bushes so they do not touch the exterior of your home
- Remove stagnant water from your property
- Clear any wood debris from your yard
- Keep screens in all windows and doors that will stay open
- Check for any exterior cracks or holes and have them sealed off
- Keep your kitchen clean of any crumbs or food debris
- Take trash out regularly
- Keep open food stored in containers with tight fitting lids
- Declutter storage spaces including attic, basement, and crawl spaces
For more information on Integrated Pest Management or to find out how we can exterminate your pest problem while limiting chemicals, contact Plunkett’s Pest Control. Plunkett’s offers effective home pest control and prevention in Erie and Bettendorf as well as in all of the quad cities, Minnesota, Nebraska and the Midwest.BACK TO BLOG