How well do you know carpenter ants? Before we give any introduction to these pests, we wanted to test your knowledge on this popular species of ant that is found in homes throughout the Midwest with our short game of carpenter ant trivia. Answer the questions below and see if your answers match ours.
- Carpenter ants eat wood like termites, true or false?
- Do carpenter ants prefer moist or dry wood?
- Carpenter ants live in wood, true or false?
- Do carpenter ants keep their nests clean and tidy or full of mud and dirt?
- False. Carpenter ants do not actually eat wood but they carve galleries into it. You can tell when you have carpenter ants from the pile of sawdust they leave behind. Their diet consists of food debris from around the home and some insects.
- Carpenter ants prefer moist and decaying wood as a place to carve their tunnels and galleries.
- True. Carpenter ants carve galleries into the wood in order to build nests for themselves and their expanding colony.
- Unlike termites that keep their underground colonies full of mud and dirt, carpenter ants are very tidy and keep smooth carvings in the wood and no mud or debris.
So, how did you do? Are you a carpenter ant expert or do you need to brush up on your carpenter ant facts?
If you would like to learn more about carpenter ants including treatments to get rid of carpenter ants, please contact Plunkett’s Pest Control today. We provide pest control for carpenter ants throughout our Midwest service area including Alexandria and Minneapolis, Minnesota; Lincoln and Omaha, Nebraska; and throughout the Quad City region.BACK TO BLOG