Have you recently noticed an increase of ants around your home or business? As the temperatures rise, ant activity will continue to increase as these foraging insects are seeking out food, water, and shelter. Although many people shrug off a few ants as harmless, there are in fact some species that you do not want anywhere near your home let alone inside it. That’s right, carpenter ants are not a problem you want to have.
For home or business owners in Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa and throughout the Midwest, here is the scoop on carpenter ants from the pest control pros at Plunkett’s:
- They form nests in moist, decaying wood and then move into more sound wood
- Most of the species found in Minnesota are black in color and range from â…› to ½ of an inch in size
- The main colony is most likely outside your home or business but satellite colonies are likely to be found inside
- They get inside through window frames, door frames and eaves to look for food
- Although they do not eat wood like termites, carpenter ants will carve galleries into wood for nesting leaving the wood damaged
- Structural damage can leave home and business owners a large repair bill
- DIY treatments for carpenter ants are rarely effective because unless every ant in the colony is killed, they will be back before you know it
So if you are starting to notice any ants in the kitchen or elsewhere in your home or business, do not wait until it becomes a larger problem. By calling in the pest control professionals at the first sign of an ant infestation you can avoid the extensive structural damages these wood destroying ants are known to cause.
Plunkett’s Pest Control offers superior home pest control services as well as business pest control services to ensure that you are pest free in Minneapolis, Minnesota; Lincoln, Nebraska; Davenport, Iowa; Moline, Illinois; and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, as well as elsewhere in our large service area. Contact us today to find out how we can resolve your ant problem!BACK TO BLOG