With Christmas behind us and the New Year at the tip of our feet, it’s almost time to pack up and store the tree and decorations until next year. Hopefully you took the steps to prevent pests upon unpacking the decorations, but now is your chance to safeguard all of your favorite holiday decorations so they are free of pests while sitting in the attic, basement or other storage space until the holiday season comes around next year. It may seem like a lot of work to properly pack your decorations, but it will save you a lot of time and fuss if you can avoid attracting a pest problem. To help the residents of Minneapolis, Bettendorf and the Quad Cities stay pest free, here are few tips from the pest control experts at Plunkett’s for packing up your holiday decorations.
- If you don’t already have proper storage bins, you will want to make the investment. Cardboard boxes or bags are not going to prevent pests from making their way into your family’s treasured decorations. Plastic totes are the best storage containers for decorations because of their tight fitting lids and resistance to humidity.
- If you have an artificial tree, toss the original box it came in. Again, the cardboard will not stand up to pests or humidity so you will want to look for an artificial Christmas tree bag, found in many stores and online.
- Inspect all of your decorations before you pack them back up. You want to check for pests, broken pieces, or mold and toss out any infected or damaged decorations. This is also a good way to assess what you might need for the next holiday.
- Wash delicate items such as linens and stockings and store them in sealable plastic bags to lock out moisture and pests while they are not being used for most of the year.
- Be sure you have inspected your holiday storage space for pests whether it be the attic, garage or another room. Since prevention is the best way to ensure your holidays are pest free next year, you want to be sure your storage room is free of any signs of insect or rodent infestations.
If you follow these tips to properly packing and storing your decorations, not only will you be more organized for the next year but you will reduce the risk of any pests from trying to invade your holiday cheer. To get more information on pest control services in Minneapolis or other service areas, contact the experts at Plunkett’s Pest Control today. Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy New Year, free of pests!BACK TO BLOG