Fall has arrived and it won’t be long before carpenter ants, spiders and other insects and rodents start searching for the ideal overwintering site. And while many of us look forward to the cooler days and colorful leaves, we don’t appreciate sharing our home with pests. With that in mind Plunkett’s Pest Control would like to offer these tips to help homeowners in Minnesota and throughout the Midwest pest-proof their homes and property.
- Store firewood well away from the house and off the ground. One of the pests that seek shelter in woodpiles is carpenter ants; they are attracted to wood damaged by moisture.
- Repair or replace damaged or torn screens.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and add weather stripping around windows.
- Seal any cracks on the outside of the home, including the foundation and areas where utilities enter. Remember mice only need a gap that is ¼” or less in diameter to get in.
- Repair leaking pipes, fix appliances, or run a dehumidifier in areas of the home that experience moisture. Kitchens, bathrooms and basements are all likely places to find moisture problems.
- Clean up any crumbs on the floor or counters immediately and store food in airtight containers.
- Empty trash receptacles regularly.
- Trim trees and shrubs back so that they don’t provide a “bridge” to your home.
- Add crushed rock around your home to create uneven terrain.
For more information on how you can protect your home from ants, mice and other pests this fall, give Plunkett’s Pest Control a call at 866.906.1780 or click here if you would prefer a representative from Plunkett’s contact you. Since our founding in 1915, Plunkett’s has taken pride in helping property owners achieve and maintain pest free homes and cabins and offer effective home pest control in Minneapolis and throughout Minnesota as well as the Quad Cities and elsewhere in the Midwest.BACK TO BLOG