We admit, keeping a tidy home seems at times an impossible task. Especially after the holidays and through the winter, clutter tends to accumulate. And while we all love a good spring cleaning, we wanted to remind you that allowing clutter to pile now is only going to promote harborages for potential pests later. The good news is that by removing clutter you are more likely to notice the signs of pests before they become a severe problem in your Minneapolis home.
Common signs that you have a pest infestation:
- Mouse droppings found in cupboards, the pantry or other locations
- Chew marks on boxes in storage or building materials in the attic
- Damage to insulation or other structures in the home
- The sound of little rodent feet running through the walls and overhead at night
- Mouse nests which are small and made of materials snatched from storage boxes and other areas
- A bad odor coming from the attic or other storage space which could be the accumulating urine and feces from critters
- Dark blood spots on linens which are left behind after bed bugs get a blood meal
So, what is it about clutter that attracts such pest problems? Things like stacks of papers, magazines, or old boxes are all great places for pests to hide. If you provide them with suitable shelter and a chance to evade you, the chances of a pest problem becoming more severe are likely to increase. Especially pests like mice who are prolific breeders, if you offer them food, water and shelter (hiding spots among the clutter), you can be sure that what began as a mice or two will quickly grow!
Keep in mind, if you do happen to find any of the common signs of pests listed above, it is important to contact Plunkett’s Pest Control right away. In order to prevent more serious pest concerns like the spread of bacteria and diseases, contamination of surfaces, and damages to the structure of the home, you want to have quick and effective pest control treatments!
Plunkett’s provides insect and rodent control in Minneapolis and throughout Minnesota. In addition to Minnesota, Plunkett’s service area extends throughout the Midwest including Omaha and Lincoln, NE; as well as the Quad City region. Give us a shout today if pests have become a problem in your home!BACK TO BLOG