As you start off a new year with good intentions for a healthier lifestyle, don’t forget about the health of your home. There are many reasons to protect your family and home from pest invaders this winter and the seasons to come. Pests can be dangerous whether it’s spreading pathogens, biting, or causing damage to your home. If you have not already protected your home from pests, there are ways to help prevent the infestation of pests causing you a less than happy start to the New Year. Follow these resolutions from the Minneapolis pest control specialists for a pest free home:
- Clean your kitchen every day of spills or crumbs that will attract mice and rats. These pests thrive off of our food, water and shelter.
- Check shelf foods at home and at the store for possible pantry pests. Check out our blog from December 2011 on how to avoid pantry pests.
- Organize and clean your attic, basement or garage to be sure spiders, rodents, or other pests are not camping out among your belongings. These pests are seeking a sheltered space hidden from dangers.
- Take trash out regularly to limit the food supply to pests. Try not to let bags of garbage pile up, even in the cold of the winter months. Garbage is like a buffet to rodents.
- Inspect the exterior of your home and seal off any cracks, holes, or openings that pests will use to get into your living space. It only takes about the size of a dime even for larger rodents to squeeze through.
- Keep the perimeter of your home off limits to pests. Stack wood a good distance away from your home and cut back shrubs and bushes to keep spiders and other pests from finding shelter right near, and eventually in your home.
- When traveling this year, learn all the ways to inspect your hotel room for bed bugs so you do not allow any to hitch a ride back with you. Refer to our previous blog on how to stay clear of bed bugs during your travels.
- Always continue your pest control services, even through the winter months to avoid infestations any time of the year.
The New Year is all about a fresh start and a clean slate, so be sure that your home will be pest free this winter and the months to follow. The last thing anyone wants to deal with is an infestation that could have been prevented. However, if you have found yourself walled with any pests, contact Plunkett’s Pest Control, the pest control experts for three generations. With residential or commercial pest control solutions in Minneapolis, Bettendorf and the Quad Cities and throughout our entire service area, you too can enjoy a pest free New Year!BACK TO BLOG