In a recent blog, we identified signs or symptoms of a rodent problem. We also touched on the risks associated with these pests and to follow up we thought why not offer a few tips on how homeowners in our region can protect their homes from mice and rats this fall. As the weather begins to cool off and the autumn season really sets in, you will want to be well equipped with the best rodent exclusion tips in order to prevent sharing your home with these pests who like to share our table.
Plunkett’s, a long time Minnesota pest control company would like to offer residents throughout our large Midwest service area tips on maintaining a rodent free home this fall:
- Check the exterior of the home for any small cracks, holes, or crevices. Seal them off with caulking to prohibit any small mice from squeezing through the cracks.
- Keep the windows and doors closed unless they are secure with a screen. Also, check that the screen contains no holes or tears that would allow a rodent to sneak inside.
- Take the trash out regularly and keep it stored in bins that have tight sealed lids. Keep the trash bins away from the exterior of the home to deter any rodent activity so close to the home.
- Be sure that vents, pipes, and other larger openings are properly sealed off with mesh screens or covers as this is an easy access point for many mice and rats.
- Keep your kitchen clean and sanitized with a deep cleaning to remove any built up debris as well as daily cleaning of the floors and surfaces to remove spills and crumbs. Food is a major reason that rodents want to get inside so make sure your kitchen does not call out their name.
- Along the same lines of food, make sure that any open bags or containers of food get stored with airtight lids. You don’t want to lure the rodents in with your next batch of pumpkin muffins!
By following these rodent exclusion tips closely you will really reduce the chance of these critters finding their way inside and making your home theirs. But it is also important to keep in mind that these exclusion techniques alone may not be enough to prevent rodent infestations. So if you happen to notice any of the signs of rodents in your home then make sure to call in the pest control pros!
Plunkett’s Pest Control offers residents in Minneapolis, MN; Lincoln, NE; and the Quad City region home pest solutions for even the worst rodent problems. Contact us today to have our team of pest control experts safely and efficiently get rid of rodents.BACK TO BLOG