Its a given that you do not want to add pests to your holiday decor but the truth is that depending on where and how you stored your decorations from last year, you may uncover a few surprises hidden amongst your decorations this year. There are many pests that enjoy dark, hidden places like the attic, basement or garage and if your decorations happen to be nearby, there is not much to stop these same pests from digging into a cardboard box or a plastic bag.
Since we are all about getting the decorations up early, we wanted to share a few tips to help you prevent any holiday pest problems as you are unpacking and then repacking your holiday decor.
- Instead of unpacking your decorations in the living room, it is a better idea to bring them to a garage or better yet outside if the weather permits. This way, if there are any spiders or rodents lurking in your holiday decor, they can escape outside, away from your home and family.
- Sort through all of your decorations and discard any that have suffered damages from pests or moisture since the last year. It’s safer to deal with any broken pieces that are sharp, including glass outside rather than inside with the whole family.
- Try to avoid hanging onto those precious homemade decorations that are made of flour or sugar. As cute as they may be, they are a huge magnet for pests like rodents or ants who will think they are dinner.
- Discard the bags or boxes that you are storing your decorations in and replace them with rubber totes that have tight fitting lids. This will not only keep pests out but help to protect your decorations through the year.
- If you are purchasing a live Christmas tree, keep it in the garage or shed before taking it inside. Giving the tree time to warm up will also wake up any insects that could be hiding in the branches. And once again, having them escape outside of your home is a much better option.
If you do happen to find any insects inside of your home, then often times a vacuum is enough to make them disappear. But if you are experiencing problems with dangerous mice or if the insects are proving to be difficult to get rid of, then please contact us at Plunkett’s.
At Plunkett’s Pest Control we provide home pest control services for those in Alexandria, Bettendorf and the rest of Quad Cities as well as throughout our large Midwest service area. We are here to help you have an enjoyable and pest free holiday!BACK TO BLOG